Home Land Sea Air Hydro POI Equi
Chapel of the Chimes

The Chapel of Chimes was founded in 1909 as a crematory and columbarium. The present building dates largely from a 1928 redevelopment based on the designs of the architect Julia Morgan. The Moorish- and Gothic-inspired interior is a maze of small rooms featuring ornate stonework, statues, gardens, fountains and mosaics. The building maintains its original functions but also serves as the venue for annual music festivals on the winter and summer solstices.