The John J. Harvey is a fireboat formerly of the New York City Fire Department in New York City.
She had a distinguished career in the FDNY, from her launch in 1931 to her retirement in 1994. Among the marine fires at which she assisted were the Cunard Line pier fire in 1932, the burning of the Normandie in 1942, the ammunition ship El Estero during World War II, and the collision of the Alva Cape and Texaco Massachusetts oil tankers in 1966.
She was sold, at auction, in 1999, to a private consortium of marine preservationists determined to prevent her from scrapping. In June 2000 she was added to the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places. Her current owners have thoroughly restored her, and host frequent free trips on the river. [Wikipedia]
|Engines||Five Fairbanks-Morse 8 Cylinder
Opposed Piston Diesel Engines
|Pumping Capacity||18,000 GPM|